FAFSA at a Glance
The FAFSA is 100% free to fill out and submit.
- The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is created and coordinated by the U.S. Department of Education. It is safe and secure.
- Nearly all colleges and career schools use the FAFSA to determine how much aid to offer each student. Financial aid funds are disbursed along a sliding scale of need and merit; the FAFSA is the most comprehensive and secure method of confirming a student’s position on that scale.
- The federal government verifies the student’s information, but it is the colleges and/or programs that a student applies to that will use the info to dole out financial aid awards.
- The FAFSA is a form. The use of “application” in the title is a bit of a misnomer.
- On average, the FAFSA should take about 30-minutes to complete.
- The U.S. Department of Education’s Office of Federal Student Aid provides more than $120 billion in financial aid to help pay for college or career school each year.