Is Law, Public Safety, Corrections & Security a Fit for You?
Core skills that are necessary for success in these occupations:
- Negotiation – Bringing people together to solve differences
- Persuasion – Talking people into changing their minds or their behavior
- Social Perceptiveness – Understanding people’s reactions
- Active Listening – Listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- Speaking – Talking to others
- Critical Thinking – Thinking about the pros and cons of different ways to solve a problem
- Writing – Writing things for co-workers or customers
- Judgment & Decision Making – Thinking about the pros and cons of different options and picking the best one
- Service Orientation – Looking for ways to help people
- Coordination – Changing what is done based on other people’s actions
Emergency and Fire Management Services
Security & Protective Services
Explore Career Clusters
There are 16 total clusters, which represent loosely grouped occupations that share common features. It’s one approach to investigating sets of jobs that match your skills and interests. Investigate one, or more, that interest you and take the quiz to see which might be a good fit.