Idaho Opportunity Scholarship for Adult Learners
The Idaho Opportunity Scholarship for Adult Learners is awarded to Idaho residents who graduated from an Idaho high school, or its equivalent, and is returning to college at least part time (6+ credits) after a break out of at least 24 months. Applicants must have AT LEAST a 2.5 GPA. This scholarship is available to both new and renewal students.
Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) required by:
- Spring – December 1, 2022
- BYUI Spring – March 15, 2022
- Summer – April 15, 2022
- Fall – July 1, 2022
Complete Your General Application
The Idaho Opportunity Scholarship (for Adults) awards up to $3,500 per academic year and is renewable for up to four years.
To qualify for this scholarship, applicants must meet all of the following criteria:
- Have an unweighted, cumulative GPA of at least 2.5
- Be an Idaho resident
- Graduated or will graduate from an Idaho high school, Idaho home school, or its equivalent (GED/HSE from Idaho)
- Must pursue a certificate, associate’s degree, or first bachelor’s degree
- Must have earned at least 24 college credits before a cease in enrollment
- Must not be currently enrolled
- Must not have completed more than 2 classes in the last 24 months
- Complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by March 1
- Maintain satisfactory academic standing as specified in program rules
- Must Attend one of these eligible idaho colleges or universities (View Schools)
Recognizing the need for a well-educated workforce, Governor C.L. “Butch” Otter and the Idaho Legislature established the Opportunity Scholarship to remove barriers to higher education and prepare college/university graduates to enter the workforce. The Opportunity Scholarship awards eligible applicants up to $3,500 per academic year and is renewable for up to four years.
I have been accepted to my institution of choice, but I haven’t taken any classes yet. Am I eligible to apply for Idaho Opportunity for Adult Learners scholarship?
As long as you have not enrolled in classes you may apply.
I earned a BA/BS years ago and I would like to go for my master’s degree can I use this scholarship to earn my master’s degree?
No. The Idaho Opportunity for Adult Learners is only for students earning a certificate, associate’s degree, and a first bachelor’s degree.
I did not graduate from an Idaho high school, but I have been an Idaho resident for decades, am I eligible?
No. You must be an Idaho graduate, home school, or its equivalent to be eligible for any state funded scholarships.
What do I need to know about renewal eligibility requirements?
To be eligible for renewal you must meet the following requirements:
- Meet the credit requirement that matches what you awarded.
- 6-8 credits: up to $875/semester
- 9-11 credits: up to $1,312/semester
- 12+ credits: up to $1,750/semester
- Maintain at least a 2.7 GPA while receiving the scholarship
- Meet satisfactory academic progress (SAP) with your institution
- You must complete a renewal confirmation questionnaire no later than June 1.
What is a graduation plan?
A graduation plan is required for all recipients of the Idaho Opportunity for Adult Learners scholarship. This is a form that will outline your plan to graduation.
How do I fill out a graduation plan?
Please log in at https://scholarships.idaho.gov and click on “programs”. The graduation plan is located within the Scholarship Management Forms.