Fast Forward Program – FAQ

The Fast Forward program provides every student attending an Idaho public school an allocation of $4,125 to use towards Advanced Opportunities in grades 7-12. The program was expanded by the Legislature in 2016 through the passing of House Bill 458.

The funds can be used for:

  • Overload Courses
    An overload course is a high school level course that is taken in excess of the student’s regular school day. These courses are offered online, during the summertime, and after school. In the event that student incurs a cost for such courses, the Fast Forward program can pay up to $225 for the cost of the course. Overload courses must be above and beyond the full course load offered by the student’s local school.
  • Dual Credits
    Dual credit are courses taken by high school students that are transcribed on their high school and college transcripts. The Fast Forward program can pay for up to $75 per credit, and in most cases, the cost of these credits is $65. Dual Credit courses can also be taken online, by virtual conferencing, or in some cases students can go directly to the college/university campus.
  • Exams
    Student can utilize Fast Forward funds to pay for a variety of college-credit bearing or professional technical exams. These include Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB), College Level Examination Program (CLEP), or Career Technical Education (CTE) exams. A full list of qualifying exams is available in the Resource Files.

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I apply for Fast Forward?

To utilize the Fast Forward funds, requests must be made through the student’s local school district. The student will be asked to fill out a participation form that will be kept at their school. Depending on local processes, the student may need to request funds for specific courses/exams through their Advanced Opportunities account, or the school coordinator will apply on their behalf. Check with your school’s Advanced Opportunities coordinator to learn more about local deadlines and procedures.

    • To create an Advanced Opportunities account and apply for funding, please follow the instructions.

When applying for Fast Forward funds, please note that this does not take the place of college registration for dual credit. Each college/university has an admissions and course registration process for their institutions.

My student qualifies for additional aid beyond the Fast Forward Program funding.  Which aid should be used first?

The student should always utilize funding from outside grants and scholarships first. Once these sources have been exhausted, Fast Forward Program funding can be used.

How can students prepare to maximize the potential of earning postsecondary credits in high school?

It is critical that a student carefully plans postsecondary goals and discuss these with their parents and school counselor, reflected by the individual 4-year learning plan. Two simple pieces of advice will prepare students for success: 1) Choose a path of study and stick to it (general university requirements are a good place to start), and  2) Commit to doing the best work in dual credit courses because completion and grades impact both high school and college transcripts.

What happens if my student isn’t successful?

If a student fails to earn credit for any course or examination for which the department has paid a reimbursement, the student must pay for and successfully earn credit for one such course or examination.

How does earning college credit in high school affect postsecondary school?

A student who participates in dual enrollment and AP courses while in high school is able to earn college credits. Grades earned in these courses are permanently posted to college transcripts, so the student should consider the commitment needed for success in the course. A student who earns college credits in high school will still be considered a first-time college student on college admission applications and will be eligible for first-year scholarships reserved for incoming freshmen.